I am an accredited counsellor and iRest Yoga Nidra Certified Teacher with many years’ experience of working with people from a range of backgrounds, facing various challenges.
I have explored different therapeutic approaches and spiritual traditions. As well as personal practice and research, I have spent time in India, Italy, California and the UK studying with different teachers, including Dr Richard Miller.
I am an integrative counsellor, bringing together several influences. I have trained in Person-Centred Counselling, Embodied Relational Therapy and iRest Yoga Nidra. I also draw from other approaches such as Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Motivational Interviewing, Transactional Analysis, Family Constellations, Attachment Theory, the 12-steps and the Eastern Wisdom traditions.
I have also experienced challenges myself and navigating these has informed my work given me an understanding of and trust in the process of healing, recovery and becoming.
I value diversity and am committed to sharing the aspects of my work derived from spiritual traditions in a way that is respectful of difference and personal preferences. I share what is helpful about these traditions in a way that is suited to people of all faiths and none.
- 2000 to 2005 – Counsellor, Preston College
- 2005 to 2010 – Counsellor, University of Glamorgan
- 2019 to present – Private practice
Alongside working as a therapist, I currently work part-time in the Local Authority in a team that supports older people, people with disabilities, and their carers.
As well as working as a counsellor I have worked for almost 30 years in advice and guidance roles within further education, higher education, Citizens Advice Bureau and social care settings.
Selected education, training and accreditation
- iRest certification programme – Certified iRest Teacher status awarded – April 2020
- iRest Level 2 Yoga Nidra Training – October 2019
- iRest Level 1 Yoga Nidra Training – May 2018
- Motivational Interviewing Training – August 2017 (2 days)
- New Pathways Volunteer Training Sexual Violence and Abuse – August 2016 to November 2016 (10 days)
- EFTMRA Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) Level 2 – February 2016 (3 days)
- Mandala Yoga Ashram Foundation Year of Yoga Teacher Training Course – September 2012 to August 2013
- Severnside Institue for Psychotherapy Work Discussion Course – September 2006 to June 2007
- Manchester Gestalt Centre Introduction to Therapeutic Groupwork – January 2005 to June 2005 (8 days)
- Accredited counsellor status awarded by BACP – September 2004
- Advanced Diploma Embodied Relational Therapy – September 2002 to March 2003
- City & Guilds Certificate in Teaching Adult Learners – September 2001 to June 2002
- Diploma Embodied Relational Therapy – May 2001 to May 2002
- Lancaster and Morecambe College Diploma in Counselling – September 1996 to June 1999
- Lancaster and Morecambe College Certificate in Counselling – September 1995 to June 1996
- Advanced Counselling Skills (Egan Model) – September 1993 to November 1993
- Basic Counselling Skills (Egan Model) – March 1993 to May 1993
- The University of Manchester BA (Hons) Media with Business Management – September 1989 to June 1992