I am an accredited counsellor and iRest Yoga Nidra Certified Teacher with many years of experience working with people from a range of backgrounds, facing various challenges.
I have undertaken several trainings and have spent time studying with different teachers in the UK and abroad. As well as formal training, I have researched different approaches to therapy and spiritual traditions over the past thirty years. These various influences have all shaped how I now work as a therapist.
My training is in Person-Centred Therapy, Embodied Relational Therapy and Family Constellations Therapy. (Embodied Relational Therapy integrates Body Psychotherapy, Process Work, Psychoanalytic theory and spiritual ideas). I also draw from other approaches such as Motivational Interviewing, Transactional Analysis, Attachment Theory, the 12-steps, Internal Family Systems, neuroscience, non-duality and the Eastern Wisdom traditions.
I underwent a period of psychoanalytic therapy myself, which has been influential. I have spent time in yoga ashrams and other retreats, so the philosophy of that tradition and the experience of spending time in silence has shaped my understanding. I learned a lot during these times about the way the mind works. I have a daily meditation practice, and I have found this to be critical in providing me with the sensitivity and resilience to be a therapist.
I am a Certified iRest Yoga Nidra Meditation teacher. iRest Yoga Nidra is a particularly embodied form of meditation that, aside from the usual benefits associated with meditation, has also been used effectively as a way of supporting people dealing with trauma. I was delighted to find this approach as it has integrated my various influences in a simple and accessible way.
I value diversity and am committed to sharing the aspects of my work derived from spiritual traditions in a way that is respectful of difference and personal preferences. I share what is helpful about these traditions in a way that is suited to people of all faiths and none.
- 2000 to 2005 – Counsellor, Preston College
- 2005 to 2010 – Counsellor, University of Glamorgan
- 2019 to present – Private practice
Alongside working as a therapist, I currently work part-time in the Local Authority in a team that supports older people, people with disabilities, and their carers.
As well as working as a counsellor I have worked for almost 30 years in advice and guidance roles within further education, higher education, Citizens Advice Bureau and social care.
Selected education, training and accreditation
- Family Constellations Practitioner Training with Sarasi Rogers – April 2020 to May 2021
- Flowering of Life Family Constellations Training with Sarasi Rogers – October 2019 to April 2021
- iRest certification programme – Certified iRest Teacher status awarded – April 2020
- iRest Level 2 Yoga Nidra Training – October 2019
- iRest Level 1 Yoga Nidra Training – May 2018
- Motivational Interviewing Training – August 2017 (2 days)
- New Pathways Volunteer Training Sexual Violence and Abuse – August 2016 to November 2016 (10 days)
- EFTMRA Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) Level 2 – February 2016 (3 days)
- Mandala Yoga Ashram Foundation Year of Yoga Teacher Training Course – September 2012 to August 2013
- Severnside Institue for Psychotherapy Work Discussion Course – September 2006 to June 2007
- Manchester Gestalt Centre Introduction to Therapeutic Groupwork – January 2005 to June 2005 (8 days)
- Accredited counsellor status awarded by BACP – September 2004
- Advanced Diploma Embodied Relational Therapy – September 2002 to March 2003
- City & Guilds Certificate in Teaching Adult Learners – September 2001 to June 2002
- Diploma Embodied Relational Therapy – May 2001 to May 2002
- Lancaster and Morecambe College Diploma in Counselling – September 1996 to June 1999
- Lancaster and Morecambe College Certificate in Counselling – September 1995 to June 1996
- Advanced Counselling Skills (Egan Model) – September 1993 to November 1993
- Basic Counselling Skills (Egan Model) – March 1993 to May 1993
- The University of Manchester BA (Hons) Media Studies with Business Management – September 1989 to June 1992