My training is in Person-Centred Therapy, Embodied Relational Therapy and Family Constellations Therapy. (Embodied Relational Therapy integrates Body Psychotherapy, Process Work, Psychoanalytic theory and spiritual ideas). I also draw from other approaches such as Motivational Interviewing, Transactional Analysis, Attachment Theory, the 12-steps, Internal Family Systems, neuroscience, non-duality and the Eastern Wisdom traditions.
I have been accredited as a counsellor, by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), since 2004.
I have been (and continue to be committed) to my own professional and personal development. I have sought to fill any gaps in my understanding and have gained support, when needed, to continue to meet life with authenticity, compassion and optimism. As well as trainings and courses in the UK, these explorations have taken me to the foothills of the Himalayas, a spiritual community in Italy, an ashram in Wales and a silent retreat in California.
I have also spent periods of time in silence (in yoga ashrams and on other retreats). The experiences of silence sometimes supported by teachers (such as Dr Richard Miller) have influenced my work as they provided first hand insight into the way the mind works.
I am also a Certified iRest Yoga Nidra Meditation teacher. iRest Yoga Nidra is a particularly embodied form of meditation that, aside from the usual benefits associated with meditation, has also been used effectively as a way of supporting people dealing with trauma.
I value diversity and believe in inclusion. I share the aspects of my work derived from spiritual traditions in a way that is respectful of difference and personal preferences. I share the helpful aspects of these traditions in a way that is suited to people of all faiths and none.
- 2000 to 2005 – Counsellor, Preston College
- 2005 to 2010 – Counsellor, University of Glamorgan
- 2019 to present – Private practice
As well as working as a counsellor I worked for almost 30 years in advice and guidance roles within further education, higher education, Citizens Advice Bureau and social care.
Selected education, training and accreditation
- Family Constellations Practitioner Training with Sarasi Rogers – April 2020 to May 2021
- Flowering of Life Family Constellations Training with Sarasi Rogers – October 2019 to April 2021
- iRest certification programme – Certified iRest Teacher status awarded – April 2020
- iRest Level 2 Yoga Nidra Training – October 2019
- iRest Level 1 Yoga Nidra Training – May 2018
- Motivational Interviewing Training – August 2017 (2 days)
- New Pathways Volunteer Training Sexual Violence and Abuse – August 2016 to November 2016 (10 days)
- EFTMRA Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) Level 2 – February 2016 (3 days)
- Mandala Yoga Ashram Foundation Year of Yoga Teacher Training Course – September 2012 to August 2013
- Severnside Institue for Psychotherapy Work Discussion Course – September 2006 to June 2007
- Manchester Gestalt Centre Introduction to Therapeutic Groupwork – January 2005 to June 2005 (8 days)
- Accredited counsellor status awarded by BACP – September 2004
- Advanced Diploma Embodied Relational Therapy – September 2002 to March 2003
- City & Guilds Certificate in Teaching Adult Learners – September 2001 to June 2002
- Diploma Embodied Relational Therapy – May 2001 to May 2002
- Lancaster and Morecambe College Diploma in Counselling – September 1996 to June 1999
- Lancaster and Morecambe College Certificate in Counselling – September 1995 to June 1996
- Advanced Counselling Skills (Egan Model) – September 1993 to November 1993
- Basic Counselling Skills (Egan Model) – March 1993 to May 1993
- The University of Manchester BA (Hons) Media Studies with Business Management – September 1989 to June 1992